In the current COVID-19 pandemic, even at LEVEL 1 please note the following –
- PHONE FIRST for an appointment- do NOT come to the medical centre. We are NOT seeing “walk-in” patients
- If you have any respiratory symptoms (cold, runny nose, sore throat, cough, fever, shortness of breath) DO NOT come to the medical centre. Even if you have an appointment, phone and cancel – STAY HOME. Tell the receptionist and they will arrange for a GP or nurse to call you to triage your issue
- At LEVEL 2 or above, PLEASE WEAR A MASK when you visit the practice
- If you require an appointment that day, we will place you on a phone triage list. A doctor or nurse will phone you back as soon as possible. If they can solve your issue on the phone this will replace a face-to-face appointment – there will still be a charge for this service
- rest assured if you need to see a doctor they will arrange a face-to-face appointment for you – normal charges apply
- the receptionist may offer you a phone or video consultation. If you think this is suitable for your issue we can book either. There will still be a charge for this service. If you end up having to see the doctor, there may be an additional charge
- Repeat scripts and scripts – there will be NO collections from the medical centre. All scripts will be sent to a pharmacy where you can collect the medication, or the pharmacy may deliver. Due to the volume of scripts it may take at least 48 hours before your medication is ready. Both the medical centre and the pharmacies are busy.
- Because we are only seeing people by appointment and to protect and rest our team, we will close at 5pm on weekdays.
- We will also be closed on a weekend.
- When we are closed, in the event of an emergency call 111. If you require urgent assistance call City Medical 06 835 4999
Aside from routine General Practice consultations we offer a range of other specialised GP services.
ACC GPSI Service (GP with Special Interest)
Under ACC we are able to have you seen by a specialist for your complex accident induced orthopaedic/bone problems. Please can you discuss with your GP if you feel this is an appropriate service for you.
General Medical Checks
We carry out a full range of medical examinations for life, medical and travel insurances and driver’s licences. When you make an appointment for one of these, please tell the receptionist so time can be allocated appropriately. This is because they frequently take longer than a standard 15 minute appointment.
Consultations (for registered patients only, regrettably we do not see casual patients)
Our consultations / appointments with a GP are generally 15 minutes. Due to time constraints it is not always possible to deal with multiple concerns. If you bring in a list, please be mindful that only 1 – 2 things will be dealt with. This is for patient safety. Also please be mindful that another patient will be waiting to see the GP after you. If you have multiple issues, please make a 30 minute appointment. There will be an extra charge for this. Likewise if you significantly over-run the 15 minutes, an additional charge may be applied.
Insurance Medicals/Employment Screening
If you require an insurance medical or employment medical, please book a 30 minute appointment. You will need to see nursing staff as well. Please be aware that 30 minutes will be charged and only the insurance medical will be able to be dealt with.
We are equipped to handle many forms of minor general surgery including the removal of moles, skin cancers, and ingrown toenails. These are all prolonged procedures and will need a separate appointment following an initial assessment visit. Charges for this vary depending on the surgery.
Intrauterine Device and Jadelle Insertion
For those women who choose to have an intrauterine contraceptive device or jadelle rods we have the capability of inserting them. There may be a charge for this depending on your circumstances. People will need to be seen by the Doctor performing the procedures (not all of our GPS perform this service) and there will be a charge for this (again according to your circumstances). We ask that you ring and discuss with the practice nurses/administration nurses if you are considering this. Please be aware smears and swabs will need to be performed before the intrauterine devices are inserted, so it’s very important you are seen beforehand. Please click here for more information.
Our practice nurses can competently deal with your medical enquires, give advice, blood pressure checks, asthma treatment and follow up, diabetes checks, and assess minor medical problems. They also take blood tests, cervical smears, perform child immunisations and triage injuries. It is essential that you make an appointment if you wish to see the nurses directly.
GP House Visits
It is safest if you are able to come in to the practice as we have most records and specialized equipment. However in the event that a house visit is needed, a GP can come to your house. There is an additional charge for this depending on the locality and on the time spent. Please be aware that to get a GP to attend a house requires organization and often cancelling other appointments, so it will take time to arrange for you.
We offer advice and vaccinations around travel. We are accredited to give the yellow fever vaccine. We ask that patient’s do not bring up travel consultations at the end of a consult or as part of a list of things to discuss. This is for safety and indemnity reasons. If you require travel vaccination advice, please ask well in advance of your proposed travel dates because travel to some destinations can be complex and time will be required to ensure safe procedures for you. Typically you will be asked to make at least one, possibly 2 appointments with the nurse and/or doctor.
Nurse House Visits/Outreach Nurse
We have a specialized nursing service that can come to your house to perform dressing changes and basic examinations. There is a charge for this and we ask that you ring and make an appointment should you require this (please click here for more information).
We have a nurse-led skin clinic for our enrolled Taradale patients. This is run by a Clinical Nurse Specialist specialising in full body skin examinations. This clinic allows the CNS to check your body for any suspicious lesions. Please ring and make an appointment for this. There is a charge for this, please discuss with reception.
Dr Michael Koch is also an Accredited doctor with the Skin Cancer College of Australasia. This means that he has proven skills and knowledge in the diagnosis and management of skin cancer. Please ring and make an appointment to see Dr Koch. There is a charge for this service.
Ear Clinic run by Akers Ear Health
We have a specialised nurse led ear clinic run by Linda Akers. This clinic is for those with concerns regarding wax impaction, swimmer’s ear/otitis externa and blocked ears. Please see the attached documents regarding this service. There is a charge for this and we ask that you discuss with reception when you book. Please note that Akers Ear Health is a separate business, although naturally we are delighted to have the clinic as an additional service on our premises.
Click on link for ear health information.
Sexual Health Checks
We offer sexual health checks for all people. For those 18 and under the service is free thanks to the Hawkes Bay District Health Board. We have nurses who specialise in sexual health as well, so often times, people can be seen by a nurse who can further discuss with medical staff if needed.
Please ring and make an appointment with the practice nurse should you need a blood test. If you need blood taken at the weekend due to the limited number of staff there may be a wait and not all blood tests are taken due to limited weekend laboratory facilities. The blood MUST be collected by 1100h at weekends. This service should only be used on a weekend in the event of an emergency, for the reasons stated in the previous sentences.
Smoking Cessation Clinic
We offer individualised practical advice to those ready to give up smoking. Our specialist smoking cessation nurses can provide options for Champix, Zyban and Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) with ongoing support via phone available. Appointments can be made through reception and service charges do apply.
Aukati kaipaipa – Stop Smoking service is a free service offered to whanau in Napier via Te Kupenga hauora – Ahuriri. Please call them on 06 835 1840 or Text 021 871 556.